Friday, July 6, 2012

Ugh...who in their right mind thinks they can remake Steel Magnolias?

I mean this is just really ridiculous. I get remaking superhero movies...some classics...whatever. But Steel Magnolias?? You have got to be kidding me. There is no way in hell that a remake could even compare to the original. The casting in the first movie was unforgettable. The casting in this movie is, well, interesting.  I know that I use quotes to this day from that movie and my friends do too. There is no reason to even think about remaking it.

There is no way that anyone will ever be able to hold a cake to Sally Field in the graveside scene. "I could run all the way to Texas and back! But my daughter never could!!" "I wanna know whyyyyyyy??".

So, I am just curious as to why anyone in their right mind would feel that it would be a good idea to remake the original? I am posting the link so that you can form your own opinion.

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/lifetime-movie-club/video/a-preview-for-steel-magnolias

Really Queen Latifah? I thought you had a better head on your shoulders.

I may be a bit biased since it was filmed in Natchitoches when I lived there and my mom, brother and I got to be extras in the original. HOWEVER, I am pretty sure I would have the same opinion even if this wasn't the case.

I will not watch the remake as there is no way I want to taint any original scenes that randomly play in my head or I laugh out loud thinking about Ouiser's dog's hair falling out or I tear up just thinking about how awful it must have been for that mommy to lose her baby girl. The emotional depth is there, and I don't think it could ever be recaptured as it was originally filmed.

 In my mind, this is the only Steel Magnolias that has ever existed! Ok Hollywood, let's come up with some new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment