Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Sound of Sirens

Ahhhhhh, back in the South. You don't realize how much you miss it until you are really gone! The past few weeks were pretty stressful trying to figure out what we wanted to do, but we kept the faith that everything was going to work our for the best. I could not be happier to be in Oklahoma City. We are only 6 HOURS or so from our family!! We frantically found a place to rent after Andy accepted a job here and really, I am shocked that we lucked out with such a nice place. It is a little bit bigger than our ND townhouse, one story - thank goodness since I busted my rear coming down the stairs a couple weeks ago - huge yard, two car parking, and I think we are in a pretty good spot in the city. We are very close to Sam's, SuperTarget (praise Jesus!), Sonic (praise Jesus again!),Lowe's, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, 2 malls, and tons of new restaurants to try! LF has played outside every day and the fur babies have been worn out at night from having a huge yard to run in! We took our morning walk around the neighborhood, and there is just nothing like the sound of sirens before 8 a.m.! A real city - yay!!

I am going to miss a few things about the North though:

Eala's 2nd Birthday! I am so glad we got to share this day with them!
1. Our friends -  Don, Nicky, Kaiden, and Eala (Lila Faye is really going to miss her best bud from school, their sweet girl Eala), Rosie (who was so helpful keeping Brutus and Hazel when we went for our Southern visits AND she is still checking the mail for us), our sweet neighbor and letting us visit her kitty cats, the lovely UPS ladies, and LF's sweet teachers at her daycare.

 2. The LACK of BUGS - I completely forgot about biting flies, roly poly's, stink bugs and we have killed too many spiders for my liking - eeek!  Lila Faye is really good at making sure that Dada is aware of and takes care of any bug or fly that has crossed the threshold. The bug man has already sprayed and it is better but wow! I think I saw two spiders the whole time we were up there!


3. The McDonald's - I know this may seem strange to some of you, but I swear, it is the best Mickey D's I have ever been to! The fast food tasted better up there for some reason!

4. Mountain Time - I really kind of liked being on Mountain time...the few shows that we consistently watch were over by 9, so it was nice to always be ready for bed before 10. I have to get back in that habit too because my little princess has been waking up before or by 7 every morning so I really need to be in bed before 10, since I get up 2-3 times a night!

That is the Uhaul Andy drove down...it actually
 snowed while we were finishing loading it that Saturday!
I am grateful that we had the experience up north, and it was truly a life experience that we'll never forget! We got to see a lot of things that most people will never see in their life although the one thing that we did not have enough time for was getting our passports done to cross the border. I know we can say that we will definitely go back for a visit and have to squeeze that in then!




The dogs are buried somewhere in the back! Our last trip across the ND!


We checked out the OKC zoo this past weekend! It was so fun!

Lila Faye catching a ride on Dada.

Lila Faye and I are trying to convince Andy that we need a baby elephant :)

They had a little petting zoo which was really fun for Lila Faye!

Tiger cubs less than a year old and they were very playful.


We ate dinner with friends at a Hibachi grill (it was fantastic!) Sunday night and on the way home, Andy asked me if I was happy here. My response was that I am ecstatic to be here and love Oklahoma City so far. I know we have only been here a week, but it just feels like home. Who knows where we'll go next but we signed a year lease at this place, and I told Andy I have no plans to move before then ha!

5 comments:

  1. So excited for y'all! We literally missed you by like a day I think. We thought the city was nice and had plenty to do and some good eats! We ate at the brewery down in bricktown and Rene & Sean have yet to stop talking about their chicken and waffles made with sweet potatoes. Go try that! Aside from all the construction downtown we thought it was fun and there was a great arts market while we were there, very Revel-esque!! So glad y'all are closer what a blessing. Honestly I think a town with a zoo is awesome b/c kids never get tired of that!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle! I have a few really sweet friends there in OKC! I would be happy to introduce you if you like! I might even come work up there to say hello! Hope all is well! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, Andy and LF...we all miss you guys so much! I tried making risotto the other night but it went in the trash - nothing like Andy's! Lilah Faye - your little cubby is too empty without your baby in it, Eala misses you a ton. Andy - the golfers are out there going wild but I heard a rumor the green on hole 7 misses you the most! Michelle - I know Kaiden misses you (but I do not think his crush is going to die anytime soon - so come back soon and make his cheeks blush like you always do!) Me - well I can tell that I am losing my easily acquired southern "accent" as I haven't said "y'all" in a while - that has to be my favorite word in the Southern language! Its a good thing I learned a few cooking tips from you guys before you left otherwise we would probably just come move in with you! Anyway, I better stop rambling but I want you three to know what we really do miss you and I am so very thankful to have met such a wonderful family. (ugh...still dealing with my emotions, tears stream down my face for the second time today. Its easier if I don't think too much about it. I kind of want to give Andy a little punch in the arm because I asked him "do you guys plan on sticking around for a while because I have a really hard time when people I love move away...") Okay...I am very happy for you guys to be closer to your families now, those families are important! We, DKNE (Don, Kaiden, Nicky and Eala) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool and exciting! I love OK city. It's a nice place. Yall already made friends! ;) I'll see yall soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your post. After read your post now i am thinking to go on holidays.

    ReplyDelete