Friday, March 9, 2012

Migraines, Compression Tights, and Pee



             Ok, so for those of you that have suffered during pregnancy, you are going to love this one!

 I had a relatively easy pregnancy with Lila Faye. I had no morning sickness, no crazy amount of weight gain, one stomach virus, and that's really about it that I can remember. I actually loved being pregnant. In my mind, I was a soldier during pregnancy, although my husband and family might tell you differently. So, with this pregnancy, I have expected it to be the same. IT IS NOT. Maybe this means it is a boy, maybe it means my body is just more tired since we have a two year old, or maybe I just forgot all the aches and pains that I really had during the first one. Whatever it may be, this first trimester has been a little rocky to start and I am only almost at 12 weeks!

Now, I can deal with migraines. I had my first one in 4th grade. I'll never forget it either. I was sitting in Mrs. Brown's class and all of the sudden I started to feel really bad...like I was going to vomit bad. And I had these weird lights in my eyes. All I wanted to do was put my head down but at that point, I really did have to vomit. I remember running to the bathroom, which was at the end of the hall, whatever needed to remove itself from my body happened, and all I could do was just hang on the toilet. Ewwww gross, now when I think back. I probably had my head resting on pee splatters. Anyway, standard school procedure, they called my mom, she picked me up, and you know the drill. Well, since then and with age and stress, they come and go. Sometimes they are terrible, other times they are manageable and I can still vacuum the house or do the dishes if needed. With this pregnancy, they have been pretty bad. I had two days that I really did not get out of bed. And most of you know, all you can do is take Tylenol when pregnant and that is miserable for migraine sufferers. I went to a doctor here in ND just to make sure there was nothing else that I could do for them. He did not examine me, called my migraines "headaches", and I felt like I probably could have given him more information about the causes and symptoms of migraines than he actually knew. So needless to say, I was not impressed with prenatal care here (I have gone to a NP who is under another doctor and really like her, but I won't go back to that first doctor). So Tylenol it is, my friends. I will persevere and make it to the second trimester!

The other enjoyable thing about this pregnancy so far, is that my varicose vein in my left leg is acting up. It really flared up with Lila Faye towards the end but I did not expect this so soon in to this pregnancy. We took a trip south and I had to drive the first 10 hour stretch by myself. I am really thinking that may have put too much extra pressure on my leg. But neither here nor there, I have on my compression tights which are super fun to put on!  I already told Andy when we are done with kids, I am going to need  a lot of work done to repair this body. Part of it is just inherited (my mom has horrible veins from birthing us three very large babies - I was almost 11 lbs) but I want to wear dresses again one day and not be embarrassed or have anyone ask me why Andy beat my left leg, ha! I have already ripped one pair of compression hose so let's take a bet on how many I will destroy by September - I am going to say 8 pairs. And you should also know that I am very clumsy so these odds may go up as I won't be able to see my feet.

I really enjoy my exercise and my friend Joylynn and I started (more seriously) running before Christmas. I am hoping to hit that pretty hard again after Bean gets here and if my leg does not fall off! It has been really hard to not join her as the weather has been really nice up here and we get tired of the ol' treadmill. I feel so lucky to have met her in this crazy move to North Dakota as we really keep each other motivated. Between the migraines and leg pain though, I have really slacked off the past few weeks. It's really disheartening to me because I am not ready to give up my hard workouts yet, but I know I don't need to push it too hard. And it seems like everyone is always posting about their successes which makes me crazy jealous (in a good way)! I hope this baby is going to like his stroller cause he is going to be going on a lot of joy rides!

Ok, lastly, this is my first funny pregnancy issue that I have had. When pregnant, the urge to pee can be quite severe. I drink a lot of water too so I basically just carry a roll of toilet paper with me at all times. Andy left to head up to Minot Wednesday for work so I had the bed all to myself last night (Side note - we have a King size, which I highly suggest if you are planning on getting pregnant or having kids one day).  I can tell I am getting into the second trimester because I am starting to sleep really hard. But, what also comes with pregnancy sleep is vivid dreams. I have a lot of really entertaining dreams as some of you know and being pregnant really takes the level of crazy to new heights. Here goes the "Pee Dream":

 I must really be wanting to go to the beach because this is about the third dream in the past few weeks that was beach related (thank goodness my friend Gina is moving to Corpus Christi at the end of the school year - we'll be visiting!).  I had the norm of random people pop in and out of my dream - Mr. Boyd - high school chemistry teacher (? where did he come from ?), Ashley, long time friend from Magnolia, and also Josh Duhamel made a quick appearance (probably because Andy ate at his restaurant in Minot last night). Random, right? Anyway, there is a lot of fun in the sand and swimming happening until I go to a cafe that is right on the beach. It completely opens up out on to a deck and I go inside. Everybody is ordering sandwiches and drinks and having a grand time. I stop and laugh with a table and then make my way to the bathroom. I get to the bathroom and, well, start to relieve myself. Oh what a great feeling this is in my dream! The bathroom is tiny and wooden with one sectional to hide yourself from the door. Well, I guess I did not lock the door very well because in comes Betty White and she says "You need to hurry it up Missy! Some of us old folks can't hold it that long!" Ok. Betty White is telling me to hurry up and pee. I say "I am hurrying, I just can't quit peeing!!!" And really, in my dream, I could not. It was like a faucet that was stuck! It just keeps flowing and flowing and I think I could even hear the sound of it. Soooooo then, I wake up to something warm between my legs. Apparently, I had started to pee on myself. I can't quit laughing as I am typing this! I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom and obviously finished and cleaned up. Luckily, I did not have to change any bedding at 4 a.m., thank the LAWD. This is the first time I have probably done something like this since I was 3 years old. Wow, that was a good dream! I know that some women have trouble with incontinence after having a baby, but this was a new one for me! I will now make signs that say, WARNING - PREGNANCY AND ITS AFTERMATH MAY CAUSE YOU TO PEE YOURSELF!


                         Hello Baby Marlette #2! I have a feeling you are going to make a grand entrance!!

4 comments:

  1. Love love this for so so many reasons! Congrats again on baby #2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I burst out laughing, Michelle! Very descriptive! Will give you some tips on how to put on compression hose later.....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very funny, you and Trish will have to exchange pee stories, her's are for an entirely different reason, but still funny none the less. Thanks for sharing! roflmao

    ReplyDelete