Tuesday, March 13, 2012

South Dakota = The Longest Drive Ever

Mount Rushmore really is incredible. It is overwhelming to think about some guy just sitting around that was like, 'Hey, we should go carve some faces here!' It was BEAUTIFUL! We went in the off season so not a lot of the shops were open but we could not have picked a more perfect day to go. Not too much wind, blue skies, warmer temps - it was really lovely. Lila Faye kept saying "Mommy, look at the big faces in the mountain!" And then in her toddler jargon throughout the rest of the day I would hear random, "mountain", "faces", "big faces", so I am guessing it made an impression on her. We'll for sure want to take her back again when she is older. I told Andy when we got back in the car that there has
to be some sort of secret agency tucked in there. I felt like someone was watching me out of Washington's eye! There is also an amphitheatre below too which I bet is amazing to see an event at with it all lit up at night.

What you should know, if you are ever brave enough to make this drive, is that it is the LONGEST DRIVE EVER across North and South Dakota. Holy moly! I would have been terrified if I was by myself. I mean there are miles where there is nothing. When I say nothing, I really mean nothing. I had visions of breaking down and some crazy trucker coming at us that would try to kill us. And all you would be able to do is run! Because there is nothing!

The neatest thing about our drive back was we saw a Bald Eagle - in nature, sitting on a fence post, all by his lonesome. He was huge too! They are much bigger in the wild than when held in captivity. It really did top off the day though and made me think about our history in this country. I often wonder what our past Presidents would think about today's society. Would they be happy with the way this country has been run? Disappointed? Granted, we have come a long way when it comes to equality in this country, but I don't know. I have a lot of thoughts about our society as a whole and what our goals as a country should be. Maybe I'll save all those thoughts for a later post! Lila Faye slept the majority of the trip home that day, and I had quite a bit of reflection during that quiet time.

I hope if you ever make this trip you see an eagle on your drive but that was it as far as excitement goes!


                                    Hope you enjoy the pictures...it really was amazing to see!

 

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    That was such a joy to read!I'm so glad you all got to see Mt. Rushmore; maybe someday Mike and I will get to see it, too. Can you post your eagle picture on here? The one you sent me is so little on my phone. Keep up the good writing in your blog; it's a "good read!" Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete