Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Dirty Thirty


The Dirty Thirty
My Dirty Thirty Desserts: Blueberry Bread Pudding, Brownie Sundae with Peanut Butter Caramel Sauce, and Flan. Since I am pregnant and not able to partake in my wine, I figured 3 desserts was reasonable.

I have turned 30 (cue the background noise, "Dun dun dun"). I am actually kind of excited about it too. I mean my 20's were pretty grand...married my best friend, had a beautiful baby girl, got a college degree, traveled to many new places, gained several new close friends, was able to be at my siblings' weddings, was able to hold both my nephews right after they were born (just waiting on that next niece or nephew Gene and Adessa - no pressure though), moved to North Dakota ha! I feel like I learned a lot in my 20's, but I am really pumped for my 30's. I feel like for some reason this will be my decade.

Ok, I am not putting a time frame on any of these goals. I am just saying in my 30's I am going to do these things and in no particular order, well except the first.  That is kind of a given.

 My "Dirty Thirty" goals:

1. Have Baby #2 - already knocked up and if everything goes as planned, Bean will make his appearance in late September. Guess I can semi-check this one.

2. Run a Half Marathon -  A very long time ago, an ex of mine told me that I run funny. This comment impacted me for YEARS. I doubt he can say he has ever run that far, so take that. I have always been very self-conscious about running anywhere that anyone might see me until the past couple years. I do it now though mainly because I know how important cardio is and the older I get the less of a shit I give about what anyone thinks of what I look like. Plus, I need to be able to out run the zombies one day.

3. Write my Book - I have enjoyed writing since I was young and had a couple of books that I started when I was probably around age 10. My mom keeps everything and it's fun to look back at those things. I think in life we sometimes take paths away from what we are truly passionate about.  I loved writing but never really got pushed in that direction. And certainly not during my college years. By the time I realized that I really didn't love my degree, it was too late to change and I was ready to get the hell out of there. So this decade, I am going to make it happen. It might take all ten years but I am going to do it!

4. Get my Passport - see #'s 5 and 6.

5.  Go to Italy - Somewhere I have always wanted to go and this will happen. I want to drink wine and eat pasta and make out wherever with my husband. Because when in Rome...

6. Go to New Zealand - I was THIS close to doing a study abroad in college, but I just couldn't get the balls. I think things happen in life and we meet people for certain reasons. When I graduated I ended up working with a lady from New Zealand! What are the chances! I lived with her too, and she is just one of my favorite people in the world. She has been a friend, roommate, mom, and confidante over the years. So, I am going to go ahead and invite myself to fly to New Zealand with her next time she travels home ha! Well, at least I know I have someone that has family there and can tell me all the non-touristy places to go.

7. LET IT GO -  I am not sure that this is a goal but more of just a continuing to work on myself. I work really hard to let things go (most of the time). It took me a really long time to figure out where it comes from too. I get it from my Mom. She can really hold on to things from the past. She will bring up stuff that I am like really?? That was YEARS ago. Let it go! I think that all of us "childrens" were so blessed with this trait too because my sister and brother can be the same way. They remember things that I must have completely pushed into that part of the brain that tucks things away for life. I am the same way though and they have forgotten things that left such a big memory to me. I am sure I have done things or said things to others that were rude or offensive and am very sorry for that, but I am surely trying to let the things go that have been done or said to me. This takes a lot of work people but it takes way too much negative energy to hold on to the past.

8. Read the Bible - I am not going to lie. I have read many parts of the Bible but never the entire thing, as an actual book. I think my problem is that it was never presented that way. It's always just been more of a reference tool. So, after I finish my vampire books (the new Sookie book is out next month - holla!!), King's 11/22/63, and Fifty Shades of Grey and Fifty Shades Darker, I think I will give it a go.

9. Take an Art Class - Just always wanted to...

10. Remember to Write Thank You Notes - I really try do this but it is hard! I always feel like it is the nicest thing to receive an actual note in the mail. Not a text, not a Facebook message, not a shout out on whatever other social network people feel like is important. A hand written note. That you can put on the Frigidaire. I think the older I get the more old fashioned I become. Mam-Maw is the BEST with hand written thank you's! I need to make it a competition with her or something in my head so I'll get them done in a timely manner!

This was my Dirty Thirty dinner. Not nearly as exciting as the desserts, but it was one of the best steaks I have ever had.

The Easter Bunny at our little ghetto mall in Dickinson. None of us were just super excited to be there...LF was way more interested in all the plastic eggs than the Bunny!

Walking to church Easter Sunday with my two favorite peeps!


All right so I have a lot to accomplish! I'll make sure and check these off as they happen!

6 comments:

  1. Hey I'm with you on reading the Bible too. I've never actually read it like you would read a book. It's been on my thoughts to do as well. I wish you the best of luck with your new adventures and if you'd like some company to New Zealnd or Italy we're soooo in. Haha! Todd and I talked about Italy for our honeymoon,but decided against it.

    Sealy Pettavino :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will let you know!!! I have a lot of research to do before the Italy trip :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad I found your blog! I feel like I am sitting on the back porch with you drinking and listening to you talk:) Congrats on your new baby! And Lila Faye is such a beautiful little lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you girl! I have been keeping up with yours and am loving all those recipes you keep posting!! You have a little cutie yourself!!

      Delete
  3. Love this! So excited to be with you through all of these goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write that book, Hazel!

    ReplyDelete